

MUSCAT: The Khareef Dhofar Bowling Championship 2026 got underway on Sunday with the participation of 92 bowlers, bringing together Omani players and a number of competitors from Arab countries.
Organised by the Oman Bowling Committee with the support of the Khareef Dhofar Season, the championship runs from August 23 to 28 and features two competitions the Open Championship and the Local Championship for players from Dhofar Governorate.
The Open Championship launched the action on Sunday, while the Local Championship is scheduled to begin on Monday, August 24. The competitions are expected to produce strong contests, with attractive cash prizes allocated for the top finishers in both categories.
The championship has become one of the bowling events associated with the Khareef season in Dhofar, with the Oman Bowling Committee continuing its cooperation with the organisers to provide competitive opportunities for players and further promote the sport in the governorate.
Ahead of the competition, several participants trained at the venue to familiarise themselves with the lane oil pattern selected for the championship in accordance with international technical regulations.
Members of the national teams’ technical and administrative staff are also attending the championship, contributing to the technical supervision of the competition while assessing players who could be considered for national team selection ahead of upcoming international assignments.
Ayman al Jahdhami, Secretary of the Oman Bowling Committee, welcomed the return of the championship to the committee’s competition calendar after it was not held last year.
“We are pleased to see this championship return to the committee’s calendar. It is an important competition, particularly for players from Dhofar Governorate, where there is strong interest in bowling and good competition among local players,” Al Jahdhami said.
He added that one of the committee’s objectives is to expand the presence of bowling in Dhofar and provide more competitive opportunities for players in the governorate.
Al Jahdhami thanked the organisers of the Khareef Dhofar Season for their continued support, stressing that the championship represents an important platform for both local bowlers and participants in the Open competition.
“The championship has attracted good participation and includes a number of leading national team players, as well as bowlers who have achieved strong results in domestic competitions organised by the committee,” he said.
Al Jahdhami added that valuable cash prizes have been allocated for the leading positions in both the Local and Open Championships, providing further incentive for participants during the six-day event.
He also pointed to the active domestic bowling programme during the current season, with the Oman Bowling Committee having already staged several competitions. More local and open tournaments are planned for the coming period, including events supported by private-sector partners, as the committee continues its efforts to broaden participation and raise the competitive level of the sport across Oman.
Oman Observer is now on the WhatsApp channel. Click here