MOSCOW: The Kremlin is not interested in halting the conflict with Ukraine, spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday, while officials in the Russian border region of Belgorod continue to report of attacks.
Russia will continue its "special military operation" until the end,until it has asserted its interests and achieved its goals - either in the course of the fighting or through "other available means,"Peskov was quoted as saying on Wednesday by state news agency TASS, using the preferred term by Moscow to describe the war against the neighbouring country it launched 15 months ago.
According to Peskov, there are currently no indications of the possibility of a peaceful solution to the conflict. Negotiations with Kiev are impossible because the Ukrainian leadership itself has "forbidden negotiations of any kind with Russia," the Kremlin spokesman said.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has made the withdrawal of Russian troops from Ukrainian territories a precondition for peace talks.
Russian President Vladimir Putin, meanwhile, spoke of "increasing instability in the world" in light of the war he ordered last year,in a video message addressing a security conference in Moscow.
Putin held the West responsible for the development, saying Western powers were trying to maintain global dominance at the expense of other countries. The Kremlin leader once again accused the Western states, which are helping Ukraine to defend itself against the Russian attack by supplying weapons, of "neo-colonialism."
Meanwhile, the Russian region of Belgorod on the border with Ukraine has been attacked with a "large number" of drones, according to authorities.
Cars, residential buildings and administrative buildings were damaged in the city of Belgorod itself and in other places in the region,Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov said on Wednesday. Most of the drones had been destroyed by anti-aircraft fire, he added.
The western Russian border region has been rocked by attacks for months. Moscow holds Ukrainian saboteurs responsible, saying they have been attacking the area with grenade launchers and artillery.
Dozens of "representatives of Ukrainian military units" had been fighting in the area since Monday, according to Russian reports. Russian authorities lifted the temporary state of alert and declared the "anti-terrorist operation" over, with the Russian Defence Ministry saying it had "eliminated" more than 70 Ukrainian people.
Two volunteer corps of Russian citizens fighting for the Ukrainian side in the war have claimed responsibility for Monday's attacks,while Kiev has denied any involvement. — dpa