Muscat: The population of the Sultanate of Oman has crossed the 5-million mark, according to the National Center for Statistics and Information (NCSI).
The NCSI Clock indicated that the total population of the country is 5,000,772 as of Wednesday, with Omanis constituting 57.62 percent 2,881,313, residents the rest 42.38 percent (2,119,459).
As per the E-census results of December 2020, the population increased by 61 percent in 10 years from the 2010 census.
In the month of January, there were 6,062 live births (195.54 births per day) and 814 deaths (26.22) per day in the Sultanate of Oman.
According to the estimates of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Planning (MUHP), the Sultanate’s population will be eight million by 2040, which will necessitate the need for investments in more housing units across all governorates.
As per the latest NCSI figures, Bangladesh nationals (669,554), Indian nationals (534,244), and Pakistan nationals (264,960) form the largest non-Omani working communities in the country. The sultanate of Oman is the second-largest country in the GCC and is ranked 21st in the world.