Ten members of a family die in tragic house blaze in Saham

Saham, Update 1: Ten members of a family, all Omanis, were killed after fire broke out in their house in the Wilayat of Saham during the wee hours of Thursday morning. The 10 members, who were sleeping inside the house, died due to smoke inhalation. Three others, from the family, were not at home when the tragedy occurred.

Firefighters from the Public Authority for Civil Defence and Ambulances (PACDA) received a call informing fire break out in a house at 4:25 am. Accordingly, firefighters immediately rushed to the site and they successfully managed to douse the fire.

The unfortunate fire incident is said to be one of the biggest fire-related tragedies the country has seen in recent times.

Hussain al Saeedy, a family relative, who spoke to the Observer said “we mourn as we lost of 10 members of one family. It was shocking and tragic news to receive in the morning.”

“Fire broke out in one of the rooms in the house. Quickly, smokes spread to other rooms where the family members were sleeping. We assume they all died because of the smoke suffocation.” He said

“The whole family consists of 13 members. 10 members died at the ill-fated house and three members, who were away from their home, are left now out of 13. Qasim, the father, Aisha, the mother and their 8 children; four daughters (Bushra, Sarah Hawaa and Al Hawraa), four boys (Huthaifa, Yasin, Hamza and Al Baraa) all died after inhaling toxic fumes.” Al Saeedy said.

“The family was sleeping in two rooms; parents and two children were found in one room and the other 6 children from the other room.”

Abu Imaad, a family relative said “It was not the first time fire broke out at this house. Last month one of the rooms engulfed in fire. However, no injuries were reported.”

The Royal Oman Police (ROP) urged everyone to install smoke detectors inside home to avoid fire accidents.