Muscat, Oct 4 – A new convention centre is expected to open by the end of next year.
The centre is one of the steps taken by Oman to upgrade “conference tourism” and boost its contribution to national income, Ahmed bin Nasser al Mehrzi, Minister of Tourism, has said.
In a statement to Oman, the Arabic sister publication of the Observer, the minister said conference tourism is considered among the most profitable sectors of tourism.
It is one of the targeted sectors by the current five-year development plan for spearheading economic diversification strategy, boosting contribution to GDP and creating job opportunities for nationals.
The centre’s task is to host international conferences. Besides, it will evaluate the conferences that have already been held and assess whether they have achieved the goals of boosting tourism and generating revenues, he said.
Al Mehrzi said the Sultanate has the potential to attract international conferences after the establishment of the Oman Conventions and Exhibitions Centre with its spacious and well-equipped halls.
Since its opening in October last year, the centre has organised more than 55 local, regional and international events.
It has been chosen to host the 2020 World Cancer Congress. It will see up to 4,000 cancer control experts from more than 140 countries.
The construction work is expected to be completed by the middle of next year. It will have a large hall with a capacity to accommodate 3,200 people, an event building with two large halls, a 450-seat theatre, conference halls and restaurants.
Shamsa al Riamiyah