Turkey steps up assault on Kurd targets

STOKING CONCERN: President Erdogan says ‘no stepping back’ in operation against militants in Syria –

HASSA, Turkey: Turkey on Monday intensified its offensive against Kurdish militia targets in Syria as President Recep Tayyip Erdogan vowed there would be no stepping back in a campaign that has stoked concern among Ankara’s allies and neighbours.
The Turkish military on Saturday launched operation “Olive Branch”, its second major incursion into Syrian territory during the seven-year civil war. The operation, where Turkish war planes and artillery are backing a major ground incursion launched with Ankara-backed Syrian rebels and Turkish tanks, aims to oust the People’s Protection Units (YPG) militia from its enclave of Afrin.
Turkey considers the YPG to be a terror group and the Syrian offshoot of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) which has waged a bloody three-decade insurgency against the Turkish state.
“We are determined. Afrin will be sorted out. We will take no step back,” Erdogan said in a televised speech in Ankara, adding that Russia had given its backing.
But the operation is hugely sensitive as Washington relied on the YPG to oust IS militants from their Syrian strongholds and the Kurdish militia now holds much of Syria’s north.
France has called for a UN Security Council meeting on Monday to discuss concerns over flashpoint areas in Syria including the Turkish offensive.
Turkish television quoted military sources as saying the ground forces had already taken 11 villages in their advance into Syria. Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said that, since Saturday, 170 targets had been destroyed.
“The cleaning up is taking place step-by-step,” headlined the pro-government Yeni Safak newspaper.
Meanwhile, Turkish artillery were firing shells on YPG targets inside Syria and ground troops opened a new front by moving on Afrin from the town of Azaz to the east, state media said.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said a total of 21 civilians — including six children — had been killed in the operation.
But Ankara has denied inflicting civilian casualties, with Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu accusing the YPG of sending out “nonsense propaganda and baseless lies”.
In a sign of the risks to Turkey, 11 rockets fired from Syria hit the Turkish border town of Reyhanli on Sunday, killing one Syrian refugee and wounding 46 people, 16 of them Syrian, the local governor said.
Yildirim said that the Turkish army had suffered no losses.
The Syrian Democratic Forces, an umbrella group dominated by the YPG, said in a statement that the operation amounted to “clear support” for IS.
The operation is Turkey’s second major incursion into Syria during the seven-year civil war after the August 2016-March 2017 Euphrates Shield campaign in an area to the east of Afrin, against both the YPG and IS.
Erdogan has warned that those protesting against the operation will have to pay a “heavy price”. The authorities on Monday detained 24 people on suspicion of disseminating “terror propaganda” against the operation on social media.
But as well as a complex military task, Turkey has to wage a sensitive diplomatic campaign to avoid alienating allies and provoking foes.
Western capitals are particularly concerned that the campaign against the YPG will take the focus away from eliminating IS after a string of successes in recent months. — Reuters