Anchor Dhobie de Guzman has been the face of a popular news show in the northern Philippines for more than a decade. Now the closure of his regional station — and dozens of others countrywide — has left him out of work.
He is among hundreds of journalists to lose their jobs at ABS-CBN as the broadcasting giant — a critic of President Rodrigo Duterte — slashes its operations after advertising revenues were ravaged by the loss of its free-to-air licence in May.
The closure of 53 regional television and radio stations that broadcast in six languages will deprive millions of Filipinos of their main source of local news and entertainment.
“It’s painful,” de Guzman, 43, told AFP last Friday after presenting the final “TV Patrol North Luzon” in a studio 240 kilometres (150 miles) from the capital Manila.
Congress last month rejected ABS-CBN’s application for a new 25-year franchise and a Supreme Court petition over the issue was dismissed.
ABS-CBN, which is owned by the wealthy Lopez family, has broadcast continuously since 1953 except between 1972 and 1986 when it was seized by dictator Ferdinand Marcos — who Duterte admires.
Duterte has a history of clashing with media outlets critical of his policies, including his controversial drug war that has killed thousands of people.
While he has denied any involvement in Congress’s decision to reject ABS-CBN’s application, he had previously pledged to block its licence renewal.
In the months since losing its free-to-air permit, ABS-CBN has kept showing many of its popular news and drama programmes on cable TV and online.
But much of the advertising revenue it used to rake in has been wiped out, forcing the broadcaster to dramatically cut costs.
“Unfortunately, (digital advertising revenue) is not at the same level as broadcast, so that’s where the challenge is nowadays,” said ABS-CBN news and current affairs boss Regina Reyes.
After the closure of the regional stations on Friday, more parts of the network will be shuttered on Monday and many of its stars are expected to move on.
Thousands of jobs — including staff and contractors — could be lost, ABS-CBN warned previously. AFP