

Oman’s national youth indoor handball team has been drawn into Group A of the 19th Asian Men’s Youth Handball Championship, set to take place in Chuzhou, China, from July 15 to 26, with the team aiming to make a strong impression while preparing a promising generation for the future.
The draw placed Oman alongside hosts China, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Chinese Taipei and Hong Kong, while Japan, South Korea, Iran, Kuwait, Qatar, India and the United Arab Emirates make up Group B.
The tournament serves as a qualifier for the 26th IHF Men’s Junior World Championship (U-21), with the top four teams earning direct qualification to the global event scheduled in North Macedonia from June 23 to July 4.
As preparations continue, Oman’s youth team is undergoing intensive daily training sessions at the Sultan Qaboos Sports Complex in Bausher under national coach Yahya al Maashari, with 22 players currently involved after the initial squad was reduced from 33 players.
Moosa bin Khamis al Balushi, President of the Oman Handball Association, described the championship as an important step in building a new generation for the senior national team.
“We are looking forward to a successful participation, Our primary goal is to build a strong team for the future, this tournament is not just participation, it is an important stage for developing young talent and strengthening the future of Omani handball.”
Team manager Anwar Mohammed al Balushi said preparations had been progressing well despite challenges related to school and university examinations.
“We began preparations around 20 days ago, and our ambition is to achieve an advanced position after finishing eighth in the previous edition,” he said. “We have promising players capable of delivering a respectable performance.”
Player Said bin Mohammed al Hassani highlighted the tournament’s importance in building confidence and experience, emphasising the team’s focus on fitness, tactics and teamwork.
Meanwhile, player Abdulaziz bin Ali al Saifi stressed the sense of responsibility carried by the squad, “We represent our country and our supporters and we promise hard work, determination and a performance worthy of Oman.”
Oman Observer is now on the WhatsApp channel. Click here