Saturday, February 21, 2026 | Ramadan 3, 1447 H
clear sky
weather
OMAN
22°C / 22°C
EDITOR IN CHIEF- ABDULLAH BIN SALIM AL SHUEILI

Oman takes part in Gaza Board of Peace meet

Oman's participation aligns with its steadfast approach of supporting endeavours to achieve peace through dialogue, upholding the right to self-determination and adhering to international law and United Nations resolutions.
minus
plus

WASHINGTON: The Sultanate of Oman participated on Thursday as an observer in the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace, at the invitation of President Donald Trump of the United States of America. The meeting was held in the US capital, Washington.


The Sultanate of Oman’s delegation was headed by Sayyid Badr bin Hamad al Busaidy, Foreign Minister. The meeting witnessed the participation of a number of presidents of states, heads of government and senior officials from member states, alongside representatives from invited nations attending as observers. During the meeting, participants reviewed the general vision for the Board’s work and its action plan for the upcoming phase, particularly concerning the reconstruction of the Gaza Strip. Several participating parties announced voluntary financial and in-kind contributions to support humanitarian recovery efforts and facilitate the safe return of life for the population.


Oman's participation aligns with its steadfast approach of supporting endeavours to achieve peace through dialogue, upholding the right to self-determination and adhering to international law and United Nations resolutions. This includes advocating for the two-state solution and the establishment of an independent Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital, thereby ensuring sustainable security and stability for all peoples of the region.


Meanwhile, Palestinian organisation Hamas called for international pressure on Israel.


In a statement, the group urged the international community and member countries of the newly-launched council to take "practical steps" to compel Israel to halt its military campaign, reopen border crossings, allow unhindered humanitarian aid into the territory and begin reconstruction immediately.


At the Washington meeting on Thursday, Trump pledged billions of dollars in assistance for the coastal area devastated by the war between Israel and Hamas.


Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, however, reiterated that reconstruction of Gaza could only begin once Hamas had been disarmed, saying this position had been agreed with the United States. Hamas has rejected calls to lay down its weapons.


"Hamas will very soon face a dilemma", Netanyahu said. "Lay down its weapons the easy way or the hard way".


Hamas said any political process or agreement to achieve stability in Gaza must be based on "addressing the root causes of the problem, namely the occupation, ending its aggressive policies and enabling our Palestinian people to gain their full and complete rights".


Since the start of a ceasefire with Israel, Hamas has largely reasserted control over the territory it governs in Gaza.


Trump said Morocco, Albania, Kosovo, Kazakhstan and Indonesia were prepared to send thousands of troops to help secure lasting peace, though no country has yet agreed to take on the task of disarming Hamas as part of a proposed international stabilisation force.


"I think they're going to give up their weapons", Trump said, warning Hamas would otherwise face severe consequences.


Germany and several other European states have declined to join the so-called Board of Peace, viewing it as a rival to the United Nations. — ONA/dpa


SHARE ARTICLE
arrow up
home icon