Muscat: The Ministry of Health has said that 16 of the 42 people who suffered injuries due to the chlorine gas poisoning in Suhar on Tuesday are hospitalized, including two in Intensive Care Units (ICUs).
MOH praised all medical and para-medical staff in Suhar Hospital, as well as all health institutions in the Governorate for their efforts and quick response to this incident, which had a significant impact in reducing the severity of injuries.
It may be noted that 42 suffered moderate to critical injuries as a result of a dangerous gas leak at a site in the Muwailih Industrial City, according to the Civil Defence and Ambulance Authority (CDAA).
In its initial statement, CDAA said, "The team dealing with hazardous materials accidents in the North al Batinah Governorate responded to a chlorine gas leakage from a cylinder in the Muwailih Industrial City, The team succeeded in containing the leakage."
The Environment Authority in North al Batinah Governorate said it dealt with an accident of chlorine gas leakage from a cylinder, which was removed from the accident site, in addition to implementing the procedures used in dealing with this type of accident.
MOH said that the injured were admitted to Suhar Hospital and other private and public health centers in the city.
MOH urged all those dealing with hazardous substances to follow the maximum safety and preventive procedures according to the standard competent authorities.
According to industrial safety experts, chlorine's odor or irritant properties generally provide adequate warning of hazardous concentrations.
However, prolonged, low-level exposures, such as those that occur in the workplace, can lead to fatigue and tolerance of chlorine's irritant effects.
Chlorine is heavier than air and may cause asphyxiation in poorly ventilated, enclosed, or low-lying areas.
Children are at increased risk for exposure to toxicants because they have a greater lung surface area and may be more vulnerable to corrosive agents than adults because of the smaller diameter of their airways.