Zelensky vows response after Russian missile attack kills 10
Published: 05:08 PM,Aug 18,2026 | EDITED : 09:08 PM,Aug 18,2026
KYIV: A Russian missile attack killed 10 people on Tuesday in a village in Ukraine's northeastern Kharkiv region, President Volodymyr Zelensky said, adding that Kyiv would respond. There was no immediate comment from Russia on the attack, which also injured at least 18 people, according to the regional governor. 'This morning the Russians launched a brutal attack on a busy intersection in Pechenihy, Kharkiv region - a location with a post office and stores, surrounded only by residential buildings,' Zelensky said on X. 'We will definitely respond to this Russian strike,' he added. Reuters video from Pechenihy showed several covered bodies lying on the ground, burnt-out cars and damaged buildings.
Russia has intensified its air attacks on Ukraine over the summer, trying to exploit its smaller neighbour's critical shortage of interceptors to down ballistic missiles. The United Nations said last week that civilian casualties from the war in Ukraine had risen by nearly a third month-on-month in July. The UN Human Rights Monitoring Mission in Ukraine said on X it was gathering information about the attack in Pechenihy and its impact on civilians.
Ukraine has also increased its attacks on Russia, targeting oil facilities and logistics infrastructure to try to undermine Moscow's ability to wage war. On Tuesday, Moscow's mayor said Ukraine had launched 620 drones at the Russian capital and surrounding areas, in one of Kyiv's biggest air assaults on the region. Drones hit a warehouse of Russian e-commerce company Wildberries and other facilities near Moscow, regional governor Andrei Vorobyov said separately. At least three people, including a 10-year-old girl, were injured in the region, he added.
Wildberries, a frequent target of Kyiv's attacks following Russia's full-scale attack on Ukraine in 2022, said drone debris hit a wall at the warehouse, causing minor damage. Several other Russian-controlled regions, including Crimea, which Moscow annexed in 2014, also reported heavy attacks from Ukraine.
Krymenergo, the Crimean peninsula's largest power supplier, said southern districts came under Ukrainian drone attacks overnight.
It said several settlements have been cut off from power supplies as a result of the attacks, and that the situation with power deliveries has remained challenging in north-western, eastern and southern parts of the region.
Both Russia and Ukraine deny deliberately targeting civilians in their attacks. The strike on Pechenihy village injured at least 18 people and damaged 10 private buildings, a cafe, a post office, five stores and 15 cars, the governor of the surrounding region, Oleh Syniehubov, said on the Telegram messaging app. According to preliminary information, Russia used two small Banderol cruise missiles in the attack, the office of Ukraine's Prosecutor General said. A local official told public broadcaster Suspilne that the strikes had hit the central part of the village, where the cafe, post office and shops are located.
Meanwhile, Russia warned Britain on Tuesday it would face consequences for supplying drones to Ukraine which are used to attack targets on Russian territory. Russia's embassy in London was responding to a report in the Times newspaper on Saturday which said British-made drones had been used for long-range strikes against Russia for the first time. 'London's actions will inevitably carry consequences for which it will have to answer,' the embassy said in a statement posted on its Telegram channel. 'The deeper its involvement in the conflict and the greater its support for Kiev's terrorist machinery, the higher the price it will pay.' — Reuters