Trump says no rush for deal
Oman, Iran call for safety of shipping movement
Published: 06:05 PM,May 24,2026 | EDITED : 09:05 PM,May 24,2026
Sayyid Badr bin Hamad al Busaidy, Foreign Minister, received a verbal message from Dr Seyed Abbas Araghchi, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
This took place when the Foreign Minister received Kazem Gharibabadi, Deputy Foreign Minister of the Islamic Republic of Iran for Legal and International Affairs, who is currently visiting the Sultanate of Oman along with a diplomatic and legal delegation.
The message comes within the framework of continuous consultation and positive cooperation between the two neighbouring countries in various fields. The message touched upon the ongoing Iranian-US talks mediated by Pakistan and the efforts exerted to ensure their success. The message also addressed the keenness of both countries to resume freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz in a safe and sustainable manner.
Following the meeting, the Omani and Iranian sides held an expanded meeting to discuss a set of principles governing freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz in accordance with the rules of international law. The two sides exchanged views and ideas in light of new developments and the need to build and develop capabilities ensuring the safety of shipping movement, trade, and supply chains.
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said he had told his representatives not to rush into any deal with Iran, appearing to dampen hopes of an imminent breakthrough in the three-month-old war that had been raised by both sides a day earlier.
The US blockade on Iranian ships on the Strait of Hormuz would 'remain in full force and effect until an agreement is reached, certified and signed', Trump wrote on Truth Social.
Negotiations were progressing and the US relationship with Iran had become more professional and productive, he said. But he added, 'Both sides must take their time and get it right. There can be no mistakes!'
A day earlier, Trump said Washington and Iran had 'largely negotiated' a memorandum of understanding on a peace deal that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, which before the conflict carried one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments.
Trump has repeatedly played up the prospect of an agreement to end the war that the US and Israel started on February 28.
It was not clear whether the agreement he was referring to on Sunday was the interim memorandum of understanding that has been under discussion, or a much more challenging final peace settlement, likely to take much longer.
The two sides remain at odds on several difficult issues, such as Iran's nuclear ambitions, its demands for the lifting of sanctions and the release of tens of billions of dollars of Iranian oil revenues frozen in foreign banks, and Israel's war in Lebanon with Hezbullah.
Various media in the US and Iran had said the memorandum setting out a framework for ending months of fighting would, if concluded, initially lift a US blockade on Iranian vessels and reopen the waterway, which Iran has shut with threats to attack shipping.