Philippines VP announces presidential run
Published: 07:02 AM,Feb 18,2026 | EDITED : 11:02 AM,Feb 18,2026
Manila - Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte announced Wednesday she will run for president of the Southeast Asian nation of 116 million in 2028.
Duterte, who is embroiled in a bitter feud with President Ferdinand Marcos, was impeached last year only to see the country's Supreme Court throw the case out over procedural issues.
Her announcement comes just days before her father, former president Rodrigo Duterte, begins a pre-trial hearing at the International Criminal Court in the Netherlands over crimes against humanity allegedly committed as part of a brutal crackdown on drugs.
'I offer my life, my strength, and my future in the service of our nation,' the 47-year-old vice president said at a Wednesday press briefing where she assailed Marcos's record.
'I am Sara Duterte. I will run for president of the Philippines.'
Duterte accused Marcos of corruption in her brief speech, saying he had failed to live up to his word during the short-lived alliance that saw them storm to a landslide victory in the 2022 presidential election.
'In the first few months of our terms, I already saw Bongbong Marcos Jr.'s lack of sincerity regarding the promises made during the campaign, as well as his sworn duty to the nation,' she said, using Marcos's nickname.
- Drawing a line -
Michael Henry Yusingco, senior research fellow at the Ateneo Policy Center, told AFP the campaign announcement was a 'big risk', but that Duterte's solid base of support in the family stronghold of Mindanao gave her a real advantage.
'Conventional thinking would say she has the best chance of winning. Survey numbers are in her favour,' he said, while adding her father's physical absence might discourage supporters.
Cleve Arguelles, president of Manila-based WR Numero Research, suggested Duterte's public declaration could be more about keeping allies in line at a time of political uncertainty.
'By projecting an inevitable 2028 run, she raises the perceived cost of defection - reminding politicians in Congress that her faction could still return to power,' he said.
The announcement was aimed at drawing 'a clear line among those who are with her or against her, given the ICC and the impeachment (cases)', agreed Jean Franco, political science professor at the University of the Philippines.
Philippine presidents are limited to a single six-year term, which eliminates Marcos from the field.
- Impeachment push -
Yusingco added that the Marcos administration was now likely to become more openly hostile.
'Behind the scenes, they'll probably push for her impeachment,' he said.
Duterte has seen the impeachment bid against her revived in recent weeks, with members of the Philippine clergy filing a case against her on February 9, one of three logged within days.
Under the Philippine constitution, an impeachment triggers a Senate trial. A guilty verdict would result in Duterte being barred from politics and sidelined from the presidential race.
A pair of impeachment complaints against Marcos, meanwhile, were recently tossed out by the House of Representatives justice committee, which said they lacked the necessary substance.
But Marcos is facing his own headwinds, with the archipelago nation roiling over a scandal involving bogus flood-control projects believed to have cost taxpayers billions of dollars.
The president has seen friend and foe alike, including a congressman cousin, swept up in the political firestorm since he first put the issue centre stage in a July national address.
On Wednesday, Marcos's spokeswoman Claire Castro told reporters Duterte should apologise for the 'corruption and misuse of funds' cited in the impeachment complaints against her before attacking the president's record.
Marcos, she added, had said only 'good luck' in response to the news of Duterte's candidacy.
The two former allies have been engaged in a high-stakes political brawl that erupted within weeks of their 2022 win in the presidential election, when the vice president was denied her favoured cabinet portfolios and instead named education secretary.
The impeachment complaints filed against her cite an alleged death threat against Marcos made during a late-night press briefing that bore shades of her father's famously scathing verbal style.
She would later say her comments were misinterpreted.