Sudan’s security forces arrest protest leaders after crackdown

Khartoum: Security forces have arrested two prominent rebels and an opposition leader, aides said on Saturday, just days after a bloody crackdown stifled hopes for Sudan’s swift democratic transition.
The men were arrested after they held meetings on Friday with Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed, who was in Khartoum on a mission to revive talks between Sudan’s ruling generals and protest leaders on who should lead the country’s next governing body — a civilian or a soldier.
It comes just days after Monday’s crackdown by men in military fatigues on a weeks-long sit-in that left dozens of demonstrators dead.
Witnesses say the assault was led by the feared Rapid Support Forces (RSF) who have their origins in the notorious Janjaweed militia unleashed in the conflict in the western region of Darfur in 2003 and 2004.
The generals also seized power in April after they ousted longtime ruler Omar al Bashir on the back of months-long protests against his three-decade rule.
Since then they have resisted calls from protesters and Western nations to transfer power to a civilian administration and several rounds of talks with the demonstrators finally broke down in mid-May.
In a bid to revive the negotiations, the Ethiopian premier flew to Khartoum on Friday on a reconciliation mission and held separate meetings with the two sides.
“The army, the people and political forces have to act with courage and responsibility by taking quick steps towards a democratic and consensual transitional period,” Abiy said in a statement after the meetings.
“The army has to protect the security of the country and its people and political forces have to think about the future of the country.”
Two prominent rebels and an opposition leader were however, arrested soon after they met Abiy as part of a delegation representing the protest movement, aides said on Saturday.
Opposition politician Mohamed Esmat was seized on Friday while a leader of the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N), Ismail Jalab, was taken from his home early on Saturday.
“A group of armed men came in vehicles at 3 am and took away Ismail Jalab… without giving any reason,” one of his aides, Rashid Anwar, said. He said that SPLM-N spokesman Mubarak Ardol was also detained.
“We don’t know where they are being held,” he added.
Esmat and Jalab are both leading members of the Alliance for Freedom and Change, which brings together opposition parties and some rebel groups with the organisers of the mass protests which have gripped Sudan since December. — AFP