Rotterdam dealt double pullout blow by Nadal

Rotterdam: Next week’s Rotterdam World Tennis tournament was dealt a second pullout punch on Thursday when Rafael Nadal withdrew on doctor’s orders from the indoor event.
The recent Australian Open finalist Nadal told by doctors to rest his wrist and other injuries after his Melbourne exertions, therefore forcing the 30-year-old to skip the Dutch date.
His pullout came a 24 hours after 2015 winner Stan Wawrinka withdrew with a right knee injury.
“I’m very sorry to announce I won’t be able to play in Rotterdam next week. After last year’s absence from some tournaments, I started this season well and made a significant effort during the Australian swing,” Nadal said.
“It’s because of this that my doctors have strongly advised me to take it easy and give enough rest to my body before competing again to avoid further injuries. I fully understand that the Dutch fans will be disappointed. I am very thankful to (tournament director) Richard (Krajicek) for the great support and understanding.”
— dpa