Cholera outbreak kills at least 140 Yemenis in two days: WHO

CAIRO: At least 140 Yemenis have died of the cholera outbreak in the past two days, bringing the tally of the epidemic so far to 1,740 deaths, the UN’s World Health Organization said on Wednesday.
Over 320,000 suspected cases have also been reported by WHO in all of Yemen’s 22 provinces, since the epidemic started late last April. The illness has been spreading far more quickly than anticipated. In June, the UN Children’s Fund said it expected 300,000 cases by September.
The epidemic has been able to spread as more than half of Yemen’s healthcare facilities are no longer functional because of the ongoing war between the government and rebels. — dpa