Wilayat of Manah the mirror of history

The Wilayat of Manah in the Governorate of Al Dakhiliyah is one of the wilayats that have many heritage and tourism attractions, which mirrors the rich and deep-rooted history and culture. Today, it is an integrated city with comprehensive services embodied in its markets, houses, mosques, fences and towers. A visit to Manah is obligatory for anyone who is curious about Oman’s past.

The ruined village has been listed in a variety of literature, from scientific dissertations. One of the milestone projects in Manah is Oman Across Ages Museum. His Majesty Sultan Qaboos placed the cornerstone for the museum during an event held at the project site in the wilayat. The idea of the project stemmed from the wise vision of His Majesty, who decided to have a museum which reflects the history of Oman through ages in both sound and picture.
The wilayat also embraces other archaeological landmarks including the Al Fiqain Castle. It is located in Al Fiqain village, which was built almost 400 years ago. The castle has been completely renovated during the blessed era of His Majesty the Sultan. The damaged parts have been restored and re-opened for the public during the Omani Heritage Year in 1994. Since that time, it has received tourists from inside and outside the Sultanate.
Additionally, there is a Sultan Qaboos College for Teaching Arabic Language to Non-Native Speakers which teaches the students to communicate and interact effectively in any Arab society.
Among outstanding lineaments is ‘Harat Al Bilad’. Al Bilad District in the Wilayat of Manah, located at the centre of the wilayat, is one of the oldest districts in the Sultanate. It is the oldest residential area in the wilayat. It contains houses that are surrounded by a great boundary for protection. Al Bilad District, which maintains the old Omani architectural designs, includes four archaeological mosques namely Al Sharah, Al Ain, Al Rahba and Al Aa’li, which date back to 909 AH. The Ministry of Heritage and Culture is implementing a project to renovate the Al Bilad District to maintain it in a good condition.
Bait Al Hisn or Hisn Najad, located at the southern side of the district, is one of the attractions of the wilayat. It is named after Shaikh Najad bin Moosa, one of the renowned scholars in the wilayat. In 1350 AH, some towers were added and a boundary has been fixed.
The Grand Mosque, a rectangular mosque built of mud in 941 AH / 1534, is located near the Bait Al Hisn. The wilayat is also known for many traditional crafts, such as Omani sweet halwa, rose water, silver works, textiles, date-palm frond works, blacksmith and carpentry. The wilayat is also known for traditional art performances, such as Razha, A’zi, Taghroud, Hamble Al Boosh, Al Tariq, Al Wailiyah, Zafat Al Kaitha and Al Maghayidh.
Since Manah is an agricultural oasis, it relies mainly on aflaj and irrigation. There are renowned aflaj like Al Asgharin, Al Akhtam, Al Masraj and Al Mahyool, in addition to other wells used to feed the vast wheat farms.
As any other wilayat, Manah enjoys modern services, including education, health and paved roads.