Samsung to hold Note 7 briefing on January 23

SEOUL: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd said it will announce on January 23 the results of a probe on what caused some Galaxy Note 7 smartphones to catch fire, as the firm seeks to recover from one of the biggest product safety failures in tech history.
Samsung said its executives and independent experts will disclose their findings in a press conference in Seoul and that the company will unveil new measures that have been implemented to prevent repeat incidents. The head of its mobile business, Koh Dong-Jin, who announced the initial September Note 7 recall, will attend the briefing, Samsung said in a statement on Friday.
A person familiar with the matter said earlier this week that Samsung’s probe had found the battery was the main cause of Note 7 fires. The world’s top smartphone maker needs to reassure consumers that its devices are safe in order for the company to recover from a projected almost $5.20 billion hit to its operating profit from the Note 7’s collapse over three quarters. — Reuters