In strong words, Oman condemns attack on Royal Palace guards in Jeddah

The Sultanate has condemned the terrorist attack on a guard post of the Saudi Royal Guard in Jeddah on Saturday, offered condolences to the families of the victims and called for the wounded to recover quickly.  Two Saudi guards were shot dead and three others injured on Saturday morning when a man drove up to the gate of the royal palace in Jeddah and began shooting, the interior ministry said in a statement carried by state news.

Royal Guards killed the gunman, who was identified in the statement as Mansour al-Amri, a 28-year-old Saudi national.

The attack occurred at a checkpoint outside the western gate to the Peace Palace in Jeddah, where the royal family con ucts official business during the summer months.

Saudi King Salman is currently outside the kingdom on a state visit to Russia.

Security forces seized Kalashnikov rifles and petrol bombs that had been in Amri’s possession.

Amri did not have a criminal record or any known connection to extremist groups, said Interior Ministry spokesman Mansour al Turki. An investigation was underway to determine his motive for the attack, said Turki.