Muscat: The Minister of Health (MOH) has issued a decision No 179/2018 that regulates the transfer and transplantation of human organs and tissues. Some of of the key highlights are:
- Organ and human tissue transplantation is banned if it leads to race mixing. Fines include RO10, 000.
- No organ transplantation in return for compensation both monetary and in kind
- Not to take advantage of a person’s need or ignorance to get his approval.
- Identity of both parties (donor and the recipient) should not be revealed to each other unless there is a mutual agreement. Otherwise an administrative fine of RO3,000 will be imposed.
- Organ or human tissue transplantation should not be conducted unless it is the only available option.
- Advertisements promoting the sale and purchase of organs and human tissues are strictly banned. Violations will lead to RO6,000.