Eight people (all women) lost lives and one person sustained injuries as fire engulfed a house in the Al-Salam neighborhood of Barka at 4: 35 am on Tuesday, reported the Public Authority for Civil Defence and Ambulances (PACDA).
As per the details available, the deceased included a 35-year-old woman, her sister (28), five girls aged between 7 and 15 and a domestic worker of an Ethiopian nationality. The woman’s husband suffered moderate injuries and was taken to the health centre in Barka.
PACDA said rushed to the site within seven minutes to the site with the rescue team in action to extinguish fire that originated from the ground floor. The bodies of all the eight women who died of suffocation after inhaling smoke were found from the first floor.
PACDA urged has members of the community to exercise caution while dealing with electrical appliances and other equipment to avoid risks related to short circuits.