Muscat: The Royal Oman Police (ROP) has urged everyone to install smoke sensors inside their homes to avoid suffocation related deaths following a fire.
It also added most fire cases reported at homes are due to poor quality of cables, wires and counterfeit devices.
Residential fires are due to the use of electrical appliances and other devices at homes on a daily basis, according to Public Authority for Civil Defence (PACDA) who also recommended the installation of smoke detectors and approved gas connections to ensure the safety of the human lives and personal property.
Care must be taken when using electrical appliances, cooking gas and other home appliances to avoid any risks to the life and property.
Comparatively, there was an increase of 134 fire incidents from 1,100 fires in 2016 from 1,234 accidents in 2017.
The causes of fire accidents in residential facilities are attributed to negligence, lack of care and caution when dealing with electrical appliances, cooking gas and others.
People are urged to follow safety guidelines:
Switch off the gas cylinder after finishing cooking and or before leaving the house.
Ensure the maintenance of devices and do not leave the mobile phone connected to the charger for long periods.
Acquisition of a multi-purpose fire extinguisher.
Do not pour water on the burning oil, but try to cover the pan with a copper pot.
Try to close the main source of electricity and gas if possible and leave the house as soon as possible in case of a fire.
Do not put obstacles in front of the exit points and corridors.
Ensure that all members of the family and the assembly are out of danger of fire and smoke.