10 hurt in ‘shooting’ in Manchester

LONDON: At least 10 people have been hospitalised after “pellet-type” shots were fired in the English city of Manchester early on Sunday following an annual Caribbean carnival.
Greater Manchester Police said they were called to the inner-city area of Moss Side about 2:30 am to find several people injured.
Nine people, including two children, were treated for “pellet-type wounds that are not believed to be serious,” police said.
It said another man “remains in a stable but serious condition in hospital with injuries to his legs.”
Chief Superintendent Wasim Chaudhry said it was possible there were more injured people “who didn’t seek treatment last night, and I would urge these people to get immediate medical attention if that is the case.”
“This was a reckless act that could have had devastating consequences with families and friends losing loved ones,” Chaudhry said in a statement.
Detective Superintendent Debbie Dooley said earlier that officers were “trying to establish exactly where this incident took place and who is responsible for such a dangerous attack.”
“The Caribbean Carnival had been taking place earlier… but had finished several hours prior to this incident occurring, which is why there were still a lot of people in the area,” Dooley said.
“Those living or visiting the area will understandably be concerned by this incident and we will have extra officers patrolling the area throughout the morning and into the coming days,” she added.
BBC Radio Manchester tweeted that a doctor believed the shots came from one person firing a pellet gun.
The local Manchester Evening News reported that the shooting was believed to have taken place during a post-carnival street party.
The newspaper said the carnival would continue as scheduled. — dpa